Saturday 3 December 2011

Dare to Blossom Newsletter December 2011

December 2011

Welcome to the Dare to Blossom newsletter

 
In this issue:


New Daring to Blossom workshop series
Personal Pilgrimage to Deerhurst Church

Reflections: Journeys
Euro Coach List Conference: my experience
Inspiring Links


This is a bumper newsletter, with lots for you to read, follow up and think about. Maybe during the Christmas break, although a busy family time, you will take some time for yourself too - to reflect on the past year and form some plans for the year ahead. Maybe make a vision board for 2012 - this is a wonderful exercise to do with members of your family, it opens up ideas, discussion - and is inspiring, not to mention lots of fun.

Daring to Blossom workshop series: "Seeing you: Being you"
Please look out for a separate email very soon with details of the "Seeing You: Being You" workshop programme for 2012. I am very excited about the ideas that have been germinating, and about to burst into blossom: four workshops that can be attended individually as a single experience or as a series moving you forward through 2012.

The first date will be Saturday 21 January and I am just awaiting confirmation of a beautiful venue in mid  Cornwall before sending you the full details. As a loyal newsletter subscriber, you will be able to book a place at half price (£30 instead of £60) to treat yourself as a  Christmas gift as well as looking after everyone else.. There will also be discounts for booking the series of four events or you can choose to book singly.


So, look out for the special email soon, and book your place as soon as you can, the size of the group will be around twelve people.

For those of you not fortunate enough live here or able to come to magical Cornwall, I am working on an online course and a book, so you won't be left out. The ethos of the programme is that the time is now, whatever it is you have been waiting for, now is the time to stand up, be seen, be the truly amazing you that is within. Let's make 2012 the year when we all make things happen.

Personal Pilgrimage to Deerhurst Church
I recently wrote about my visit to Deerhurst here, with some photos:
http://daretoblossom.blogspot.com/

 
Reflections: Journeys
My intention this month was to write about my experiences at the ECL11 Conference. (See more below.)

However, starting to write this section in mid-November, and reflecting on that event and the days since, the concept of journeys came to mind. Not only was that trip to Gloucestershire a journey for me physically, but also meeting people, working with them in workshops, emailing and speaking to them since - all feels part of a journey.

I was about to write 'a new journey', but it isn't. It feels more like another step or two on my journey of life. And that includes death too as part of life. This week I have learnt of the death of two spiritual teachers of mine.

One was a very private person who I won't name here. She made a huge difference in my life around 15 years ago, introducing me to art therapy and supporting me with some insights. We had almost lost touch except for Christmas cards. I knew she had been very ill, but not that she had died. Recently I received in the post a little booklet of her poems with a personal inscription, together with a note from her husband. I was moved and touched that she had not only taken trouble to do this (for me, and I imagine, for a number of others) and that her husband, who I do not know, had sent it on.

The next day I learnt that Gill Edwards recently passed on. She is the author of 'Living Magically', 'The Gift', and other books that have helped me immensely. There is a farewell message on her website
. It is a moving encouragement to anyone living with grief.

Depending on your personal beliefs, death may be the end, or the beginning of an new journey. For those of us left behind there is a new stage in our journey. For me hearing the news that these two people are no longer with us was poignant and linked with my personal pilgrimage to Deerhurst, described in my blog post. Even though it is over six years since my mother died that visit felt like a ceremony of remembrance and celebration, and both a connection and a saying good bye.

Euro Coach List Conference: my experience
Overall, I could describe my experience of this as: a feeling of community, meeting friends and making new ones, challenging, varied, full of conversation, discussion and learning, fun, laughter. All in a wonderful country house setting with excellent food and very professional staff.

The conference venue: Eastwood Park

I have pages of notes which will be useful in many ways. There were stimulating discussion and panel sessions on hot topics in coaching. There was such an amazing selection of workshops that it was hard to choose one of the four options for each time slot, under the headngs "You", "Your Coaching", "Your Business".

My first choice was easy as I was delivering a workshop, on the "Feed Forward" process. I learnt a lot from this workshop: that coaches are a different group of people work with (of course!), and that they also have the same issues and concerns as all my other groups. I was honoured that six people chose to come and spend their time with me. For some it was a good experience and for others it was too slow. It was interesting that I had brought extra activities in case it was a small group, but it had not seemed necessary to introduce them. I have reflected on all the feedback and will kow how to improve that workshop neext time I run it.

There is a 
link on the conference website to the programme and information on all the other and how to book for next year, I am going to book early as it was such a great event I don't want to miss out in 2012.

Other people's workshops I attended were:
Sam Chittenden's 
"The Poetry of Coaching" 
Karen Skehel's "Biodanza"
Julia Porter's "Resonate to your authentic voice"
Janine Waldman's "The Question is the Intervention"

Each of these was unique, different, energising, inspiring. Some such as "The Poetry of Coaching" were reflective. I particularly enjoyed discussing the poems  provided by Sam with the group on my table, and thinking about "bringing my poet to work", and using poetry in business and metaphor in coaching.

Janine's session on solution focused questioning was stimulating and thought-provoking. We talked about using questions that illuminate rather than destroy, and practised doing this is small groups.


The Biodanza session at the end of the day on Saturday was an amazing, enlivening experience. No talking, just wonderful and varied music, dance, movement, connection with others in a very deep and elemental way. I spoke to someone after I left the workshop and they commented I was glowing and re-energised - and I certainly felt that way!

In Julia's workshop she used muscle testing with the whole group in a way I have not experienced before. She led us through establishing our highest intention "I love living in my greatness", identifying and removing the key barriers, and establishing a state of being to enable each of us to move forward in taking action in relation to our greatness and authenticity.

Outside these sessions (as well as within them) there was so much sharing oif experiences and ideas, lively discussion (sometimes agreeing to disagree!) and laughter. I certainly came away feelng wonderfully inspired in all aspects of my life and my coaching. I hope I have given you a little taste of the atmosphere.

To give you a flavour of the conference,  David Adams has given me permission to share with you the poem he wrote during the conference, and read to us at the end:


So, on behalf of Amechi,
Just run don't panic
If you know where
The conversation's going
It's not coaching!
A smart coach or
A smart mentor
Does it matter?
What a question
For the Stilton
Of coaches
Blue and white
Rather than black
And white
Does it really matter?
You just have to know
Enough - of course
That's why
We're here.
Where has your thinking
Got you? Are goals
Part of your Vision, or
Is your Vision
Part of your goals?
Have you got the resources?
Have you got the focus
On your seven
Conversations? Has
Your client?
Are you missing
Something important?
Have you created
The team culture?
Are these questions
Powerful enough?
Should we apologise
For the tyranny of
The question?
How long can I wait
For your answer?

[silence]

Ok, how far should
We go?
(In our coaching relationships)
Being spontaneous
Or being liberal
Internal and external
Individual and collective
Shell or crystal?
As the authentic coach
To the core of one's
Being. Which side of
The line
Are you on? It's something
You do. In this relationship.
Stand up. Sit down
To learn more.
To allow us
To earn more,
Brownie points
That is. Being present
With human beings
As clients, attentive
Informing the space.
Some do, some don't
Some will, some won't
Some are Georges
Some are Johns
Some are Nancy
Some are Gladeana
So, do tell stories and
Build the trust.
Be in the space.

So, why did I sit
At the back for
Breakfast? Because
The observer is not
The observed.
That's the official version
Truth is
All the places were
Taken, by the time
I arrived. The sleeper
Eventually awakes!

So, what was yesterday
All about? A collegiate
Place to look at
Movement, Poetry,
Directive Edge.
Tango, Constellations and
Metaphor; Biodance and
Marketing. What a wild
Bunch we coaches are.
Sensitive, mellifluous, amazing
Revelationary, tantalising
SMART coaches.
Sharing points of view
Sharing experiences,
The panel reflects
The conference, reflects
The delegates. Some of us
Don't feel we're delegates
We feel we're amongst
Friends. IQ, EQ,
The B&Q
Of coaching practice
We have to do it ourselves
We have to do it our
Way. Ethically, Morally
Legally. In which cloud
Is your data? With which
Code do you comply? Let's
All stay confused - it
Tells you that you need
To make a fresh decision
Make a fresh choice.
Remember whose agenda
You are on. Remember
In which framework you
Act. Are your interventions
Provocative enough?
How do you know?
What a wonderful dilemma
What a wonderful profession
What a joyous profession
Safe home! Long life!


Lots of laughter and a huge round of applause followed David's reading of this!
Read more about David using the links below:

David Adams
Accountant, Poet, Coach
www.unlocking-creativity.com
www.vistage.co.uk

Wikipedia David Adams
 
Inspiring links

This is thought-provoking (and maybe just a little tongue in cheek?): "Dance versus Powerpoint: a modst proposal"

And this is an inspiring piece from a young person: "Being young and making an impact."

For cat lovers, a new twist on the 'cat and (computer) mouse' jokes: "Iggy investigates an ipad"

 

No comments:

Post a Comment