Monday 30 August 2021

September - 2021 - a story begins

Doris the not-very-brave dragon

A book review: 'She of the Sea' by Lucy Pearce
Dare to Blossom Monthly Circles on Zoom
September six week programme: 'Being Powerfully Yourself'

Doris the not-very-brave dragon

Recently, on a whim, I began a story, prompted by one of my recent paintings.

I shared it on Facebook and received such lovely responses that I decided to write a second instalment. I will share both of those parts here and then perhaps when the rest of the story emerges, more in future newsletters.

(If the fonts and text sizes keep changing, please forgive me, this has been happening a lot when writing these newsletters lately and I have yet to work out how to fix that issue.)



Once upon a time, there was a young dragon. She was not yet very brave.
 
Did you know that when a dragon is scared their colours fade and they become slightly transparent? That is why the silhouette of the dragon in my painting looks a little faint.

Anyway Doris, for that was her name, although she didn’t much like it - she resolved to find a new name when she felt braver, Doris the young dragon found herself all alone in a dark cave.
 

She decided the only thing to do was to pretend she was already brave and open her wings and set off....
 
As she flew the colours around her began to brighten and glow.


Doris looked around in amazement, and awe, and a little trepidation. Those colours are gorgeous, she thought, maybe I can choose some of those for my new colours when I become more brave. For now, she decided to carry on pretending her heart was full of courage anyway, and flew on.
 
“Hello” said a voice. “Eeeek”, squeaked Doris. She nearly fell out of the air but found a rocky pinnacle to perch on for a moment. Deep breaths, deep breaths, she said to herself.
 
Doris plucked up more courage to look around to see who had spoken. She saw more lovely colours. Then she began to make out what could be legs. Or maybe folded wings. Or……?




“Who, what, are you?” she asked, doing her very best to feel brave.

“I am a friend, little one, no need to fear me. And, I don’t have a name yet.”

Doris began to be a little more curious, a little more brave. “Oh, that is interesting, I have a name, but I want to change it. How will you choose your name?”

“Ah”, replied the strange being – Doris still had no idea what she, or he, might be. A spider? A crab? Doris really had no idea what these words signified in any case, but somehow they popped into her mind.

“Ah, I haven’t decided yet. It rather depends on how I feel once this body I am in now dissolves and I emerge as a new being.”

Doris had no idea what to make of this idea, so she said goodbye politely and decided to fly onwards, into the green opening beneath the creature.

(to be continued)

An amazing synchronicity - on the last weekend in August, day or so after I began this story,  the launch took place in Plymouth, of an extraordinary puppet/kite called The Hatchling - a dragon newly hatched from her egg.  Watch a clip here or visit the main website here.



A book review: 'She of the Sea' by Lucy Pearce


As many of you will know, I live a few miles from the coast here in north Cornwall, and one of my great loves is walking the coast path at ll times of year. You may also know that I am a huge fan of all the books published by Lucy Pearce at Womancraft Publishing, a small independent company, also based by the sea - just across the water as the seagull flies from me, in Cork. (Click on the image to go to the Womancraft Publishing website.)



As you may imagine, when I heard that Lucy's next book would be this one, with the intriguing title 'She of the Sea', I reserved my copy just as soon as pre-orders opened. I always do that, so I receive my book a little ahead of the main publication date - even when that is some time away - as I know how precarious cash-flow can be for many small businesses. I don't know if this is true for Womancraft but I am happy to help in a small way. There is also a bundle of special treats for people who pre-order as well. This time these included s beautifully chosen playlist.

In case you are wondering, I am not 'on commission' just a huge fan of all the books Lucy publishes, her own work and that of the authors she chooses for her list.

So, what is the book like? I am truly lost for words to know how to describe it to you. It is a treasure chest of poems, stories from other women, illustrations, suggestions for art projects, in-depth research, a call to action. All of these and much more. Along the way Lucy shares her own experiences as a woman, a mother. As someone whose brain works differently to others, in ways I will leave you to read about for yourself if you so choose. A woman with immense talent as an artist and a weaver of words. All I can add is this is one of very few books that I will read again, and very soon.

With my pre-order copy, I received a special She of the Sea bookmark, I will share this poem which I found there, and which also features in the book:

May yours be the sparkle
of light on the ocean,
The whisper of foam on the sea,
The warm sand guiding
your feet safely home,
A pebble in your pocket from me.

Some sea glass, a starfish,
some driftwood, a whelk,
Treasures washed
up on the shore.
A flower, a feather, an
urchin, a pearl,
Keep your eyes open for more.

May you know yourself held
in the palm of Her hand,
Blessed by the waves
wild and free,
Blown by the wind,
anointed with salt,
Beloved of She of the Sea.

© Lucy H Pearce 2021
 

If you would like tome prompts for meditation or reflection, you may like to read the poem aloud and choose any words or phrases that stand out for you as a starting point - then see where She of the Sea takes you.

I am not sure if this really qualifies as a 'review' of She of the Sea - and yet, it is the best I can offer just now.

 

Dare to Blossom Monthly Circles on Zoom



The monthly circles for September are Thursday 2nd at 9.00 am, and Saturday 11th at 11.00 am - UK times. You can book on Facebook or LinkedIn, or by replying to this email so I can send you the Zoom link. There is no fee, simply a suggestion that you may like to offer a donation for my time and the gifts you receive. No expectation from me, people offer what is possible in their circumstances and what feels right from zero upwards. Anything is received with gratitude, and most of all I love the joy of your presence in the Circle.

These are a good way to connect if you prefer not to join the Facebook groups. You will see below a Taster Circle for the September programme at 2.30 pm UK time - this may suit you if you are in the USA, and you are most welcome to join us, regardless of any intention to join for the six weeks. There is never any pressure, and do remember that you can also take part in that by email if you would like to join us as described in the recent special bulletin.

 

September six week programme: "Being Powerfully Yourself"

The details for the September programme are now available on my website, and bookings are open. What the phrase 'being powerfully myself' bring for you? Maybe you feel drawn to join us and explore?


Would you like to know more? Visit the website page here (booking is open now), or contact me to book a one to one chat on Zoom.

There will be Taster Zoom gatherings on Tuesday 7th September at 11.00 am and Thursday 9th at 2.30 pm. We begin on Monday 13th September and run through the six week flow around the Compass Rose, ending on Friday 22nd October.

with love,

Thank you for joining me here this month, any thoughts, feedback, or questions are always welcome.

 

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment