Monday 27 June 2022

July 2022 Letting go

 Welcome to the Dare to Blossom Newsletter 


Reflections: Letting Go
"Midsummer Magic" Art Sale

Dare to Blossom Monthly Circles on Zoom - a choice of day and time
Future deep-dive programmes
Books in my reading pile


Reflections: Letting Go

Letting go can sometimes be the hardest thing... whether it is a choice, something to celebrate even, or if it is something that happens against my will. Either way, there is a form of grief attached to letting go of anything.  For me, it was a long time before I recognised that grief has so many forms, and is prompted by so many different circumstances in my life.

When I realised that grief was the emotion I often feel when 'letting go', and that I could feel a complicated mix of joy and grief, it began to make more sense to me. Every change in life involves releasing something. 

This theme, this thought of 'letting go' was prompted by something I was celebrating - pressing the 'Send' button on the email to my publisher, Alice at the Golden Dragonfly Press, with the final version of the manuscript for 'Your Compass Rose Speaks: Rediscover Your Inner Wisdom'. The final version for now of course, once the Press has worked their magic in editing and formatting, I will see a proof and have another opportunity for final tweaks before the book is published. This a perfect example of a joyful celebration with a tinge of sadness.

Other instances of letting go in my life have been leaving jobs, mostly for me through compulsory redundancy due to closure of the organisation or at the end of funded programmes in the public sector. And then there is decluttering, choosing what things are 'beautiful, useful, or bring me joy' and letting go of those that do not. Books in particular become such precious friends that some I really cannot pass on. And yet, the clearing creates literal and metaphorical space for the new to arrive in my life.

The biggest letting go is the death of someone I love. This month is the second anniversary of my brother Roger's sudden departure through a heart attack. A huge shock to us all. The loss never lessens, and yet things do change. We are connected in very different ways than we were in life. Unlike last month, when I wrote about being 'Ambushed by Grief', here, now, I am at least partly prepared. Prepared to feel sad, and prepared that - maybe not this year, maybe some time in the future, I will not feel quite the same way. I read something recently about how loss, and grief, never goes, yet it becomes incorporated into who we are as we continue living our days, difficult as carrying on feel at first.

Here is the last photo I have of us together, in September 2019, one I know I have shared here before.



Since my mother died in 2005, I notice how that grief has changed. The circumstances of her death were very different, we shared many conversations before that day, and I choose to believe she is with me still. And yet, naturally grief is also still present, yet it changes as time goes on, and lessens in intensity.

My mother often joins me in my meditation visualisations, and on my 'Magic Carpet Rides', often with a powerful message. I know she doesn't want me to be sad.  And now, my brother joins me too. Sometimes we fly together like the buzzards that soar in the skies over Cornwall. Spiralling up, up into the blue, calling to each other with that haunting cry. Just recently, after I had been watching a pair of buzzards overhead, when I came to open the door to my garden office, there on the step, between the parked car and the building was a buzzard feather.



I don't presume to advise anyone else on 'letting go', and especially not when you are grieving a death. Yet, I hope, if you read these words, there may be some comfort for you.

 

Some suggestions for your journal or meditations. Be very gentle with yourself, choose something that will only take you where you wish to go today. If you truly want a deep exploration, or suspect you may be taken there anyway, set the scene so you feel safe and supported. You will know what is right for you.

  • Flow-write about 'letting go'
  • Doodle, draw, or collage an image - use this as an exploration of what you do not know yet about how you feel - sometimes words are not needed.


Midsummer Magic Art Sale

If we are connected on Facebook you may have already seen this - although you are the first to know that I have decided to extend the time scale to 31st July.

Any of the original wax art paintings on my website are yours for a 'Make me an offer' price - anything you would like to suggest over £15 (plus postage and packing to wherever you are in the world), will secure the painting you choose to have in your home, or to purchase as a gift. Here are two examples:




The painting above is called 'Energy Number 2", and is 6" x 8" in an 8" x 10" mount.  Most of the others are a little smaller, such as this one below "Ocean Depths". Click on the paintings to see more, each will take you to one of the two pages on the website.



There is a note at the top of each of the pages, the individual paintings still display their full prices. Simply reply to this message or email separately if you would like to make an offer. As I look through these paintings, each feels like an dear friend, and I realise that sending them out to new new homes is another 'letting go'.


Dare to Blossom Monthly Circles on Zoom - a choice of day and time

The drop-in circles are held twice each month The next dates are Monday 27th June at 7.30 pm (although you may not see this newsletter until that has passed by),  Saturday 9th July at 11.00 am and Monday 25th July at 7.30 pm (all UK times). You can find the events on Facebook or LinkedIn,  or simply reply to this email and ask me for the Zoom link. It is a always pleasure to welcome those of you who prefer not to connect via social media, all you need to join us is the Zoom link that I send to you in advance of the time.

Payment is by donation, depending on your circumstances. People offer from zero to £50. I host the circles with no expectation, simply deep gratitude for your presence. 



Future deep-dive programmes

Time for You

People have asked for advance notice of what is coming next. At present I am planning a four-week circle on the theme of 'Time for You' during August, beginning on 1st and ending on 26th. For many people that time is busy with families and holidays, and yet that may mean it is doubly important to find a quiet, safe space, just for you? Just for an hour?

For others, when friends and family are busy on holiday, it can feel a little lonely. Maybe seeing this time as a gift, an opportunity to quietly reflect would change that feeling for you?

There will be a weekly Zoom call on Wednesdays at 11.00 am, and a private Facebook group with very light content. For those of you who prefer not to connect there, I can easily send you those prompts by email, so this could be a good one to join for a gentle flow together over the four weeks.


Your Powerful Voice

The next six-week turn around the Compass Rose will begin on 5th September, and end on14th October. I am not sure yet whether the Zoom gatherings will be on Wednesdays at 11.00 am or Thursdays at 2.30 pm (UK times) - that will partly depend on who is interested and where in the world you are.

Neither of these are yet listed on the Workshops and Events page of the website, but will be soon. Contact me by simply replying to this email if you would like more details, or to book a place.


Books in my reading pile

The book that is completely entrancing me just now, as I knew it would, it 'She is Here' the final part of the trilogy by Gina Martin. Those of you who know me will know that I love Gina's writing, I find it so special that I choose to read her books in small chunks - in spite of the fact they could be described as 'page-turners', drawing you into the story. 




Another is the third edition of 'Moon Time; by Lucy H Pearce, also from Womancraft Publishing. I am honoured to have contributed a small piece to this edition.




Finally, I have contributed to this book, compiled by Dan Teck and Jodi Chapman. My copy is yet to arrive, so it is not yet physically in my reading pile. It is available via Amazon wherever you are. If you click on the photo, there are details of special gifts available up to 20th July.



I send wishes for health and happiness for you and all you love.

Thank you for joining me here this month, any thoughts, feedback, or questions are always welcome.

 

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment