Thursday 27 June 2013

Adventure


26 June 2013

When I drew  this card, my first reaction was 'Oh dear, I don't feel like adventure!'. In my mind I didn't feel like excitement and derring-do. I felt more drawn to snuggling up with a good book to read.  So I decided to let the card sit for a while.

The vibrant pink has energy and also a comforting softness. It is very close to the colour of the passion flower which for me represents Dare to Blossom. 
I took the photos in our conservatory where the passionflower grows. My husband spent a long time nurturing the plant before it finally became established and flowered for the first time. Now it covers the ceiling, along with a grapevine and a beautiful abutilon that has pretty canary yellow bell-shaped flowers. This year the passionflower has had a very long period of dormancy, in fact it had very few flowers last summer. Now there are many buds appearing and we are watching with anticipation to see the first one open - it has been growing slowly day by day and now has a pink colour appearing.

A number of years ago a wise person (who has become a dear friend, thank you Fiona) - asked me 'Does your passionflower blossom all the time, or does it have periods of rest?' The message I took from that is not to feel I have to be out there being active and adventurous  all the time, I also need and deserve periods of rest and dormancy to recover my strength and my inspiration. 


I feel I am coming through one of those times now, maybe that was my resistance to 'Adventure'? I have just looked up the dictionary definitions of the word - most refer to risk and hazards, but one aspect of 'Adventure' that appeals to me is: "an exciting or very unusual experience." 

That is something I enjoy, and on reflection I've had a number of those this week. Some have been visiting different places and meeting new people during a weekend away, others have been unusual dreams and meditation experiences. Recognising this and also acknowledging my own need for balancing rest and 'dormant' times has been the gift of focusing on this card over the last few days.

Thank you for being my companions on this adventure. Feel free to 
post any comments you would like to share below, it would be good to hear from you.

Until next time,

Mary

1 comment:

  1. Sorry, I have been slow to post this week's card here this week.

    ReplyDelete