Wednesday 18 September 2013

Generosity


19 September 2013

This card has been my companion for two weeks while I've been away on holiday with my husband. It was a great trip and I managed to totally switch off, not thinking about writing or anything else very much. I just enjoyed being there, seeing new places and taking in all the sights and experiences.

Coming home and getting back into the swing of daily life, the first thought that comes to me about 'Generosity' is the phrase: "In thought, word and deed." The definitions I have found reflect my feeling that generosity does not need to have anything to do with money or material things:


  • readiness or liberality in giving
  • freedom from meanness or smallness of mind or character.
For me these qualities begin with thought, and being generous of thought perhaps has to begin with myself. As with other aspects of self-care and self-respect, if I am not generous and kind in my internal thoughts for and about myself, how can I be ready and liberal in my giving, and free from meanness of mind with others?

Generosity of thought also brings to my mind a positive attitude, thinking the best of everyone. I usually do this naturally and have sometimes been told that I am naive, not worldly enough. My experience is that most people respond to being expected to be their best, and if occasionally I am 'taken advantage of' - well, maybe that is someone else's problem not mine, if I have been true to my values. Sometimes I have to be cautious for my own  protection, and at the same time I can still be generous in thought and maybe words even if I have to draw back from actions.

The colour of the background for this card is a sunshine yellow/orange, and for me brings a feeling of warmth, comfort, and well-being. This signifies the nature of true generosity, nothing to do with the sometimes cold and empty giving of presents of high monetary value, but rather those gifts that are from the heart. These may be physical items, chosen with care or made especially for the person; they may be a thought or a gesture, a smile or a hug; anything that recognises and celebrates our connection and love for each other.

As always, please feel free to comment below or email with your thoughts and comments. 

If you would like to own a set of cards to explore their power for yourself please visit the dedicated page.

Thank you dear friends for visiting with me again this week and sharing my musings.

Until next time,

with love,
Mary



4 comments:

  1. Another thought provoking post - thanks Mary. Real generosity comes, as you say, from the heart. An open heart manifests itself as a ready smile, a desire to listen and understand and the generous allocation of time to our loved ones. It is all too easy to be "too busy" and unavailable. My own internal dialogue is usually harshest when I am not being outwardly generous - I think perhaps the two are inextricably linked. Time to set some work aside and catch up with my friends I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Fiona

    Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts, and yes, time for loved ones is important. Have you read the book 'The Top Five Regrets of the Dying' by Bronnie Ware? One of those is 'I wish I'd stayed in touch with my friends.' (and the book is an inspiring read - sub-titled 'A Life transformed by the Dearly departing')

    ReplyDelete
  3. A rich post, Mary. Something that's been on my radar. I wonder, too, if operating from an attitude of generosity opens us up to receiving more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment Kathy, and I like your thought: "operating from an attitude of generosity opens us up to receiving more." Not only does it feel good to give, it does feel that the softening that comes with it opens me up to noticing when other people are being generous in their own way. In many situations I feel as if I am encased in a hard shell - which has probably grown up for good reasons of feeling under threat, but which may not serve me well when I am growing and changing.

    ReplyDelete