Thursday 21 November 2013

Forgiveness


21 November 2013

This card is one of those where my first thought was.... I think I'd rather put this back, I'd rather not have to write about this. In my experience that is usually a sign that something important is waiting to emerge. So I've sat with the card for a few days as usual. Today I've decided to make a start, even though I have no idea still what to write.


Forgiveness feels too BIG. So many people have written about forgiveness already, I feel inadequate to the task. Aha, maybe that is my first challenge, to forgive myself for feeling that, for not having the confidence that this process is right. Right for me, and for you if you choose to read this. You do not need to accept anything I write, or believe it, or use it in any way, the same as I choose to take or leave many of the things I read.

Last weekend, during one of the workshops at the ECL conference, I was reminded of the Hawaiian (and other South Pacific cultures) practice of ho 'oponopono', of forgiveness and reconciliation. As is mentioned on that link, the traditional uses include tribal and family meetings to settle disagreements, with the discussions going on until a way forward has been agreed by all. There are many websites, videos and recordings, I found a wide selection when I searched online. The simple principle is: 

"I'm sorry. Please forgive me. I love you. Thank you."

My experience is that often the hardest person to forgive is myself. Learning to move on from mistakes, accept them and let go has been a continual practice for me. I find this quote a gentle reminder:

“Forgiveness is not an occasional act, it is a constant attitude.” 
― 
Martin Luther King Jr.

As always, please feel free to comment with your thoughts and comments. 

If you would like to own a set of cards to explore their power for yourself please visit the dedicated page.

Thank you dear friends for visiting with me again this week and sharing my musings.

Until next time,

with love,
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment