Saturday 30 November 2013

December 2013

Welcome to the Dare to Blossom newsletter
 
Reflections: Celebrations


This week I have friends in the USA (or with connections there) who have been celebrating Thanksgiving. Many of them say that they prefer that event to Christmas as it is less commercalised and focuses on giving thanks. Thanks for family and friends, for the love and laughter in life.

So I started thinking of all the things I have reason to give thanks for: health, family, friends, good books, a satisfying job as well as my business, living in a glorious location.... the list goes on. It is of course a gratitude list under another name, and somehow, for me "Giving thanks" adds an extra dimension. It signifies voicing my gratitude as well as just feeling it. Actually saying to the people around me: "Thank you for being in my life, thank you for your support, your friendship, your love." Maybe "Thank you for the challenges you bring." too, though perhaps I wouldn't say it quite that way.

There is also something about giving thanks before the event. Thanks for the gift of a new day as I step out of bed; thanks for the good breakfast I am about to eat; for the productive activities to come. There is an element of self-fulfilling prophecy here. If I get up expecting a good day, I'll be right; if I expect a bad one - I'll be right too. (Along the lines of the Henry Ford quote: “Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right.”)

With other celebrations coming up - Christmas, New Year, with all the associated pressures, maybe the simple mantra of 'give thanks' is one to keep in mind?


For you: some suggestions for your journal or meditation reflections:
  • What can you give thanks for right now?
  • Who can you express gratitude to for being in your life?
Win Dare to Blossom Rediscovery cards 

A little seasonal competition for you (well, a draw really) - just reply to this email, and add some thoughts on the year and what you would like to give thanks for in the year ahead if you wish. Include your mailing address in case you win.

Your name will be entered in a random draw for a pack of Dare to Blossom Rediscovery Cards. The closing date is 20th December so that you will receive them well before New Year and be able to use them to rediscover your inner wisdom during 2014.


Inspiring Links: Kivq

I have supported the micro-finance scheme
Kiva for a number of years and recently received this 'thank you' message. To give a gift that really makes a difference in the world you can by a gift card of a Kiva loan for the recipient to choose how they lend it. I find the whole process fascinating (as well as moving) - seeing how the micro-businesses develop, repay their loans, and maybe borrow again. The determination of people to improve their lives is humbling and inspirational. And, of course as the money you give is a loan, it can be re-lent over and over again. So far my $50 has made 25 loans to people in 14 different countries.

Thank you for reading, and for being my companions throughout 2013. Whether I have heard from you, or not, I am grateful for your continued support and companionship.

Please do leave any comments or feedback below if you feel inspired. Or email me direct if you prefer your remarks to be private, either way it is so good to know that people to read my monthly musings.

all best wishes

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment