Wednesday 27 November 2013

Meditation


28 November 2013

This is an interesting word to write about. In a way I feel like saying.... nothing at all. In my experience meditation is a way of disconnecting from words, and thoughts, and actions. At various points in the past I have been able to devote blocks of time to meditation practice, not always - in my view at the time - 'successfully' - what ever that means. Recently I've been approaching meditation in a different way, allowing myself to count even a minute - sixty seconds - of mindfulness as successful meditation.

Last week, while eating lunch in my car as I often do between appointments, I was able to observe myself mindfully eating my satsuma. As i broke the skin to peel it, the sunlight illuminated the spurts of juice that erupted, and my nose appreciated the aroma of intense orange. As I ate each segment I enjoyed the colour as I held it up to the light to check for pips, again the sunlight highlighted the golden hue. As I savoured the flavour I relaxed into the moment - and realised what a gift it was. Being able to be in the moment was a truly meditative experience.

Other meditative moments can be through using yoga breathing - simply paying attention to the breath, perhaps deepening and lengthening each one a little. I find this a centering and calming process.

Over the years I have used and come to love guided meditations or visualisations, and this card has reminded me that I can revisit the CDs I have with various examples, always a wonderful support. This week I completed the last of four coaching sessions with
Kathy Kane, and I can truly say they have been joyous conversations. Kathy is an inspirational and skilled coach, and she helped me with some steps on my journey of 'coming home to myself' that I embarked on when I developed the cards and started this process of sharing over this year. At the end of our session Kathy suggested a guided meditation and the outcome for me was a reconnection with a part of me that offers self-care and nurturing.

The soft green background of this card reminds me that being out in the natural world is for me one of the fastest ways to meditation - and one that virtually everyone enjoys in some way, often not thinking of it as meditation. Sitting in my garden, walking on the cliffs, strolling through the woods, driving to work through trees with glorious autumn colours - all opportunities for me to be mindful in my daily life.


As always, please feel free to comment below.

If you would like to own a set of cards to explore their power for yourself please visit the dedicated page.

Thank you dear friends for visiting with me again this week and sharing my musings.

Until next time,

with love,
Mary

 
Please come and visit 'Dare to Blossom Life Coaching' on Facebook.

2 comments:

  1. That's the best kind of meditation, I reckon - being FULLY present wherever we are, whatever we're doing, whatever we're eating...
    Meditating on thankfulness today as hubby's American - turkey's cooking, friends arriving soon :)
    Blessings x
    http://anotherdeepday.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire

      Have a wonderful evening, sounds great. I've just popped over and 'followed' your blog, looks interesting, thank you for sharing that.

      Blessings to you and your family also. xx


      Delete