Thursday 16 May 2013

 

Angels

16 May 2013
I smiled when I drew this card, as I had been thinking about it just the day before. When I designed the cards in December 2011, it was with the intention of using them at the Daring to Blossom workshops during 2012. They worked really well, with the special twist that people could take their card away with them if they wished as I could easily replace them. After a while, people started asking me if they could buy a pack for themselves. I began thinking how I could describe them, how the Dare to Blossom Rediscovery Cards were different to all the other beautiful packs out there (and I use various different ones regularly for myself).

One thing is that they do not have any associated belief system, such as with tarot cards, goddess cards, medicine cards - or angel cards. Then of course I realised that among the 50 words that I had chosen was this one 'Angels'. I reflected on what the word 'angels' means to me. I have known many people in my life who I could describe that way. People who go out of their way to help others, with no expectation of recognition or reward. I have also had experiences of near escapes or warnings that have felt to me as if some unseen presence was watching over me - perhaps my 'guardian angel', or my own intuition coming in to help. Whatever your beliefs are I hope that you will find this card useful to reflect on too. And if not (as with any card that you may draw), you can choose not to 'connect' with this word at all. Sometimes however, I find when I have a negative reaction to a word on a card - "Oh no, I don't want that one!" - it is when it is actually most useful for me to reflect on that quality.

So, for this card, the background colour is the same blue as the 'Wisdom' card from last week.  a celestial sky blue, the sort of blue you might see on a slightly hazy summer's day, or at sunset. Today, it reminds me of my mother, she had wonderful blue eyes, eyes that twinkled with delight and fun. She was interested in everyone and everything, ready with a suggestion to help. She would tell a story of meeting a woman one day who seemed upset, and listening to her worries about her son who was about to start secondary school but was plagued by bullies who would be at the same school. My mother simply suggested that maybe she could ask for him to go to a different school (this was in the days before 'parental choice' became usual). Many years later she was approached in the street by the same woman who began "You won't remember me...." and said that her son had just graduated and started a good job. She told my mother  her suggestion had changed her son's life and she had been hoping to express her gratitude for years: "You were our angel in disguise."


Reflecting on this card during the week, I have looked out for my own angels in disguise (and there are many of them) and remembering to thank them. I have also been more aware of when I could respond more kindly to others, pausing for a moment to think if I can offer anything. Sometimes it is not appropriate, or welcome, to talk to people, but often just a simple smile can make all the difference in someone's day. We may not know the effects of our actions, but we can do, and be, the best we can in any moment however imperfect that may feel..

In this third week of sharing with you, I am finding that the previous two cards are staying with me as well. During my busy days I pause sometimes to think how I can apply 'Honesty' or how my inner 'Wisdom' would respond in any situation. So this week I will have 'Angels' with me too. Each of you, dear readers, play that role in my life - by being interested enough to stay subscribed to my newsletters, by reading them when you have time, and by occasionally replying - you are a valued part of my 'support team'. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

A thought that made me smile - as the weeks go on, it may become a bit like one of those memory test games if I try and remember the whole list of cards and the order they were drawn. I'm not sure for how long I will be able to recite the list, I do know that the effects of having paused and thought about these qualities is proving a powerful method of rediscovery for me.


So, until next week, goodbye for now - and don't forget that anyone who sends me a comment (by email or by writing below) about these weekly musings will be entered in the draw on 1 June to win one prize of a pack of cards and a Rediscovery Session on the phone or Skype, or two additional prizes of packs of cards. 

with all best wishes,

Mary

7 comments:

  1. When I was younger, I would have said that I did not 'believe' in angels. For me, they seemed to be a part of particular religious beliefs that did not fit with me. However, my views started to be really challenged in 1999. I was in Arizona visiting a friend. We were on our way to the Grand Canyon and the brakes failed on a mountain road. Quite an experience! However, what happened afterwards was actually more challenging. In a cafe, my friend and I were discussing the whole thing and he spoke about how angels often prompt him to 'wake up' in life, if they feel he has been going 'off track'. My initial internal reaction was, 'I don't believe in angels' and such like. Then over time (I had another week left in Arizona) and afterwards, I started asking more questions of me, and of life. Opening out to things. I came to recognise many angels, those who are in human form and those on other planes, who are of different form. It has been a wonderful journey since that time - a very difficult place, from which I have emerged with new understanding and consciousness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Diane

      Thank you for sharing your experience. and I am so glad that you are here sharing the journey with us now and it didn't end for you, in this life anyway, on that road in Arizona.

      Delete
  2. Hi Mary, what really struck me in today's post is when you say 'they do not have any associated belief system'. I think this is really insightful and important! Too often I just don't buy into the author's beliefs, even though I often use cards with artwork which speaks to me...
    Every time I see the word 'angels', I think of 'entertaining angels unawares', which I believe we all do, more often than we realize :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Claire,

      Thank you for your comment. I was talking to someone yesterday about how I try to steer clear of "'ologies" in my work, so people don't feel they have to buy into my beliefs. As you say, we can choose which parts - such as beautiful artwork - we wish to use for ourselves.

      I love the phrase 'entertaining angels unawares', reminds me of one of the Conversations with God books where he says "God sent nothing but angels".

      Delete
    2. Hi Mary, got this in the email today - thought you might find it interesting! I love Richard Rohr, I think he is so wise :)
      http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Daily-Meditation--Incarnation-Makes-Evolution-Inevitable----Frame----May-23--2013.html?soid=1103098668616&aid=owKdNAKZnTQ

      Delete
  3. Hi Mary!

    Thanks for sharing your wonderful site with the women on EWS! You are creating a beautiful and inspiring blog.

    Thanks again!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting here Sue, and for your encouraging words. You can sign up here or just pop in when you feel like it. Or if you email me via my main Dare to Blossom website I can add you to the email newsletter list to receive them that way. Lots of options!

    Mary
    x

    ReplyDelete