Tuesday 30 July 2013

Courage

Courage


30 July 2013

This is coming to you early this week - the weather hasn't been quite so good here in 
Cornwall so I have been doing more writing and less gardening. Also, I have been 
composing the monthly Dare to Blossom Newsletter for August and I thought it might 
be good if they did not both arrive with you at the same time.

When I drew  this card I decided, as I often do, to look up 'Courage' in the on-line dictionary.
 I knew there was an association with the word for heart in a number of languages from Latin onwards.

The first definition was the current use of the word:


"The quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, 
pain, etc., without fear; bravery."
From my reading about people who have been praised for their courage or bravery, almost every one would say that they felt fear aplenty, but they just did what they had to do anyway.

The second definitions is given thus:.
"Obsolete . the heart as the source of emotion."
I suppose this meaning may be 'obsolete' in the dictionary sense, but my feeling is that courage is following the heart's conviction, acknowledging emotions and using them as the motivational fuel that moves us forward. Courage is needed in many circumstances: the cases where a person is responding to danger or a threat to themselves or to others; and also the quiet courage to discover what is truly in your heart and to follow that path to becoming more and more of your true self.

'Courage' seems to be encouraging me not to delay, to follow my heart and allow my own 
unique and individual way of sharing and, yes, just being Mary, to be available to others. I am beginning to rediscover, remember, the universal truth that just by being the best I can be in any situation (even if that is sometimes a tired, irritable, disheveled sort of 'best') - just being that 'best' is how I can serve others in this world we all share. And each of us doing that (perhaps I should say being that?) spreads joy, peace, awareness, compassion, all those qualities that we know in our hearts have the power to make the world a better place.

Those who have the courage, in their own way, whether on a global stage or in their own 
homes to do this each contribute. I am reminded here of the Pakistani schoolgirl Malala Yousafzai who recently gave a speech continuing her campaign for the right of girls (and everyone) to education despite her experience of being shot and nearly killed by the Taliban. Whatever your views of the politics or religious views involved, (and there is a whole spectrum of these expressed in the comments below the YouTube video), her courage is undeniable, as is the impact she has had on the world. Other people have the quiet courage that cares for a sick child, or an elderly relative, day after day, with no end in sight. Or the courage that fights to learn skills and ways of making a living for themselves and their family in countries with no welfare state and few opportunities. (I support the Kiva scheme that organises micro-finance loans for people in these circumstances).

So, having side-tracked myself a little from my intention for these musings, of showing 
how one person can use these cards as a daily source of inspiration, back to the here and now. This little card with a big, big word - as they all are I am finding! - upon it: 'Courage' in those white letters on the dark blue background - what message does it bring for me this week?

The dark blue feels strong, reliable, and calm. Those are qualities I would like to have 
with me to face anything that comes my way in life. Small irritations or large dramas. It reminds me to stop and breathe, to call on the courage and strength inside me and available all around if I remember to ask for support and guidance.

I feel I'd like to add this photograph, taken in my garden one summer. The deep blue of the sky chimes with me as a representation of 'Courage'. The depth and intensity of the blue, combined with the ephemeral nature of the clouds feels like a reminder to look up, and outside myself, to the glory of nature and the eternity of space and the universe.

Clouds
I am laughing now - just sitting down to finish this to send to you I decided to play some of Lucinda Drayton's music (I will be at her event at the Olive Grove Bistro on Thursday evening). I chose Pale Green Angel from the album 'You', and one of the lines is 'If you don't have the courage, ask for it.. ..' - and I had forgotten that!

Thank you for sharing this thinking space with me. If you would like your own set of 
cards just click on the picture of the 'Courage' card above and you will be directed to the page to order them.

Until next time,
with love,
Mary

4 comments:

  1. Well, the gremlins have been at this week's post! When I copied the text from the newsletter email as I always do, it looked OK, but then I saw it was over-lapping the side bar on the right! Then when I tried to edit all the line breaks are now in the wrong places. Apologies for this and I'll come back and have another go at correcting it later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew, looks as if I have put that right for now, thanks for your patience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has arrived in an email from Linda in the USA: my apologies that you've been having trouble posting a comment Linda, thank you for sharing. If anyone is having trouble, you could visit the Dare to Blossom Facebook page, and I am also in the midst of transferring this blog elsewhere - but it will continue here too for the time being!

    "Mary, I tried to put this email on the blog post but couldn't....so, Please feel free to add this to the post if you can do that! Thanks!

    Mary,
    I wanted to share with you and your readers another way I have used the Rediscovery Cards. My grandchildren were here this week visiting and each day as they prepared to leave for the day camp they were attending I had them choose a card that spoke of their intention for the day. They really enjoyed this and it opened discussion each day as we drove to the camp. Then at pick up time it also supported more conversation about their intention.

    With that as a background, today as they prepared to return home with their mother and in a couple of weeks start their new school year I asked them to choose a card reflecting on their intention for the new school year. Their mother and both my husband and I also choose cards. We then took turns talking about the cards we choose. Here is a picture of the cards."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying to include Linda's photo of the cards - but haven't managed this yet! I will include it in a future newsletter!

      Delete