Wednesday 3 July 2013

Gratitude

Gratitude

3 July 2013

Ah, a reminder - of a practice I always intend to return to every day. Often I do, even if I don't write a list, I do remember to think of things I am grateful for as I go to sleep at night, and when I awake in the morning. So as I sit here writing to you now, i am grateful for:
- Lucinda Drayton's music playing, still as spine tingling as when I first heard her voice. And I am reminded that I have booked to attend a concert/workshop that she is hosting soon
- for my room where I sit,surrounded by my books and pictures
- for my family, near and far
- for the flowers outside my window, and the produce from the garden that we have just eaten for our evening meal
- ........ and the list goes on.

I remember being so humbled a few years ago when visiting my mother in the nursing home where she lived after a severe stroke had changed her life in an instant. I arrived on my way home from work, tired after a busy day, wanting to see her and make sure all was well, but also a little bit of me was wishing I didn't need to be there. All the while being aware that the last thing she wanted was to be a 'burden', but also how much it meant to her - and also knowing that she gave me so much every time. And on this occasion the gift she gave has always remained with me.


As I arrived and sat down, my mother said, with a smile, "Well, I have been lying here counting my blessings." I was immediately pulled out of my slightly grumpyily tired frame of mind. Then she continued: "There is a big list, and the number one is you, Mary love." As you can imagine I cried tears of gratitude (and admiration for her lack of self-pity), we shared hugs and she taught me another lesson that has stayed with me.

The colour of this card has significance too. It is a deep indigo blue, almost a 'midnight blue'. For me it feels calm and deep, safe and supportive.

"Thank You" - is the simplest of spiritual practices, and maybe also the most powerful. Thank you to my body for carrying me through another day despite any aches and pains; thank you to everyone who has shared my day in any way, whether for a second or several hours; thank you to nature that surrounds me; thank you to everyone who shares these moments of reflection with me.

Until next time,

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment