Thursday 29 August 2013

Self-love


29 August 2013

I drew  this card, as usual, not long after I sent out the last piece on 'Evolving'. As I wrote there, I have had a week's break since then so this card has been my companion for twice as long as usual before writing this for you. Having said that, I feel that all the cards are with me at any time I wish. (You may remember when I started this weekly blog, I mentioned that the cards were photographed outside in the garden and some were 'skew-wiff', well, this one has a speck of pollen or dust on it - in case you wonder, it isn't a mark on your screen.)

So, now, back at home after a wonderful time away, is the perfect time to have been thinking about 'self-love'. So closely linked with 'self-care', if I feel able to love myself I care  well for myself too. While away, I have been able to do that, now I have dived back into routine and my 'day job', already that feeling seems to be slipping away.

What can I do to make that a permanent part of every-day life? To wrap myself in the soft mauve-purple colour of this card - like a beautiful soft wool blanket?

Self-love is:
- noticing the way I speak to myself and changing the words and tone I use
- giving myself permission to do what I need, to ask for what I need (bearing in mind that others may not be able to give this)
- expecting to supply these things for myself
- even in a busy day fitting in time for a 'taste' of what helps me feel cared for: ten minutes reading an inspiring book; five minutes of yoga stretches; a healthy and delicious home-made sandwich.
- letting go of judgments, doubts, expectations.


And many other things too. My feeling is that when I care for, and love myself two things happen: I am able to love others more truly and deeply; and they are able to do the same for me. After all, if I am always putting myself down and never showing that I value myself and my health, why would others feel it is OK to contradict that?

Today my friend Maria reminded me of something I had shared with her a little while ago (thank you!) from Oriah's blog The Green Bough for 17 July 2013, where she shares her thoughts on self-love prompted by a piece she had read, in a book called In the Body of the World by Eve Ensler, Oriah is moved by speaking these words to herself in the mirror: "It is a privilege to care for you, and I will do my very best to do so."

-------------------------------------------

After I wrote this I received an immediate lesson in self-love. I was inspired (or so I thought) and wrote a long piece straight onto the page here without stopping. Then I thought of a photograph I wanted to include so went to the 'widget' to do that, then................. everything locked up and the only way I could get out of it was to close down the browser.

When I went back in, the whole passage had disappeared, despite the system telling me that it 'autosaves every 20 seconds'. Tried everything, no - all gone. (Even requested suggestions from one of my brilliant 'nephews-in-law' in New Zealand, and received an instant reply, thank you Ben).

Well, you can imagine what my critical self was saying (or shouting) - 'you stupid person....etc, etc.' However, I was quite quickly able to switch out of that and smile at myself. I am sure the loss of my few words is not a great tragedy for the world, and maybe a blessing. Who knows? I was so much in the flow that I have no memory at all of what I wrote here. In any case, I am not stupid so why make myself feel any worse, it was a shame but I could choose just to move on.

..........................

So, to continue with a few thoughts. In common with Oriah, I find speaking the words "It is a privilege to care for you, and I will do my very best to do so." aloud to myself almost prompts tears. Allowing myself to feel that, and to take any steps I can to care for myself is a powerful form of self-love. As is allowing myself to feel 'unreasonably happy' - happy without a reason. To recover that feeling of jumping for joy, simply at seeing the sun shine, a wonderful sunset, or hearing an exciting clap of thunder, or for no reason at all, simply because I can. Allowing a quiet joy too, as I feel when I write to friends such as you and enjoy the companionship of sharing experiences and thoughts. (And I will be writing about the wonderful time of sharing and love I experienced last week on my visit to Glasgow in the September newsletter coming soon).

The photograph I wanted to share with you was one I have sent you before, and one I love. The morning glory flower seems to shine with an internal light, as we all do, and especially so when we love and care for ourselves and for others around us. The light of truly being ourselves, of being at home in our hearts.




Thank you 'Self-love' card, and even thank you computer for helping me putting into practice a small piece of self-love.

If you would like to own a set of cards to explore their power for yourself please visit the dedicated page.

Thank you dear friends for visiting with me again this week and sharing my musings.

As always, please feel free to comment below
 with your thoughts and comments.

Until next time,

with love,
Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment