Wednesday 4 December 2013

Understanding


5 December 2013

This is one of the 'skew-whiff' photographs. As I explained to those of you who have been reading since the beginning, I took pictures of all fifty cards outside in my garden in quite a short time, as if I had simply drawn them out and laid them on a table. Thinking of that now, I wonder why I thought it necessary to explain? Did I feel you would judge me as less than 'perfect' - that unattainable goal? Was I perhaps asking for your understanding or compassion?


How many of us can claim to understand another person? Even in simple communications, between two people speaking the same language, there is plenty of potential for misunderstanding. Where feelings and emotions are involved - is it even possible? I am realising with the recent reading, journalling and thinking I have been doing, that I surely do not understand myself a lot of the time. Going to the dictionary hasn't provided much illumination for me this time, such a range of definitions: comprehension, interpretation, ability to judge and make decisions, perception.

These are all correct of course. Then I came to "sympathetic awareness or tolerance". In the context of how this card has worked for me this week, that rings more true right now. Being aware of myself and of other people, and the interactions between us. Being aware of my own state of mind and how it impacts on me and on others. Not necessarily being able to (or even trying to) explain or comprehend, simply being with.... whatever it is in that moment.  (This is not relevant where there is a immediate threat or danger, then the awareness that is appropriate may be "Move quickly, there's a car coming!" or similar)

One website I found (here) exploring the origin and history of the word, refers to 'stand in the midst of'. This conjures a picture for me, of standing in the midst of a situation, simply being there and experiencing, understanding without trying too hard to comprehend or explain, to interpret or to judge.

The aqua blue of the background to this card brings a summer sea to my mind, looking down off the cliffs towards the sandy seabed, the sea clear and cool. A feeling that if I trust, understanding will come if it is needed. And maybe some things do not need to be understood? 


For some reason it has been very hard to write about this card, I'm not sure why. Perhaps practising being OK with not understanding, (in the same way as being OK with not knowing) is a challenge. I am in the middle of reading 'Infinite Possibilities' by Mike Dooley (of 'Notes from the Universe') - and there he discusses 'understanding' in depth, I will read more.......

I'll leave you with a picture of a favourite place for me, that came to mind immediately when I thought of a 'summer sea': It is on the cliffs at Trevone, near Padstow, on the glorious North Cornwall coast.




As always, please feel free to add your thoughts and comments below. 

If you would like to own a set of cards to explore their power for yourself please visit the dedicated page.

In case you missed the Dare to Blossom December Newsletter, here is a chance for you to win a set of the cards. It is simply a draw, though I do very much appreciate any thoughts of comments you would like to send to me.


Win Dare to Blossom Rediscovery cards 

A little seasonal competition for you (well, a draw really) - just email me at mary@daretoblossom.co.uk.  Include your mailing address in case you win.

Your name will be entered in a random draw for a pack of Dare to Blossom Rediscovery Cards. The closing date is 20th December so that you should receive them before New Year and be able to begin using them to rediscover your inner wisdom during 2014.


Thank you dear friends for visiting with me again this week and sharing my musings.

Until next time,

with love,
Mary


*if you have any difficulty accessing the 'blogspot' service, you can also read here on the Daring to Blossom website, or find 'Dare to Blossom Life Coaching' on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment