Wednesday 9 April 2014

Aspiration


9 April 2014

Interesting word - 'Aspiration'. I read in the dictionary that it is derived from Latin, with the original meaning "action of breathing into", and the modern meaning "steadfast longing for a higher goal, earnest desire for something above one".


So what do I aspire to? What are my aspirations? Creating, whether writing, painting, sewing, the craft work I made and sold as a business for years - has always been part of my life. 'Breathing into' whatever I do with passion and commitment - and with joy and excitement and fun - is a key part of life for me.

Maybe it is fundamental - creating is life? Everything is all about creating. Does it feel that way for you? From the moment I wake in the morning I am creating my day: will I choose to give in to feeling tired and a little grumpy (as I often do, feel it I mean, I hope I don't give in to it too often?) - or will I choose to get up with grace and be open to what the day brings without colouring it with those feelings?

People who may feel they have not achieved a lot in their lives have been creating quietly rather than publicly and flamboyantly. I often look around at other women and slip into the trap of comparison: she has a lovely family and grandchildren; she has a successful career and glittering awards. When I turn outwards in a different way and appreciate the things my close friends and family do for me and the links I have around the world with people I have never met - then I realise that I am living my own life in my own way.

My way is different, as is your way, and that of the person next to you - the joy of each individual creating. My particular aspirations are unique to me, as are yours to you. My "steadfast longing for a higher goal, earnest desire for something above one", is about seeing the special spark in each of us. I hope in some way to help the people I come into contact with to see that in themselves. To truly believe that they do have their own answers; that they can connect with the universal wisdom that resides in themselves and every other soul; that they can come to know themselves in their own hearts and be seen as the glorious creative beings we all are.

This photograph I took last weekend at the
Caerhays Castle Gardens, in the mist somehow illustrates this for me. The towering rhododendron with the stunning flowers, the fallen petals beautifully creating a carpet of red. Even as the petals will be adding to the richness of the soil as they decay and decompose, they are sharing of themselves. I am struggling to explain why this seems apt here - I am not sure if there is really a relevant metaphor to be drawn out - maybe I simply need to share the beauty of a transitory moment - the flowers, the tree, the misty weather conditions - all combining in a moment that will never be repeated in exactly the same way.



Maybe my aspiration is to be awake - awake to those moments of natural beauty; awake to my own insights and inspirations; awake to others around me. We are all on a similar road, sometimes tripping on the bumps, stumbling in the mist, each feeling alone but surrounded by beauty and support if we look and truly see.

The colour of the card is the deep deep blue of a summer sky right overhead. It is a shame that the phrase 'blue sky thinking' has been so over-used. I love that idea of allowing thoughts to wander off into the distance; to soar above day-to-day concerns and constraints; to fly off into new realms, and to return to inspire us to aim for heights beyond our wildest dreams - to aspire to achieve our very highest potential.


As always, please feel free to comment below with your thoughts and comments. 

If you would like to own a set of cards to explore their power for yourself please visit the dedicated page.

Thank you dear friends for visiting with me again this week and sharing my musings.

Until next time,

with love,
Mary


*if you have any difficulty accessing the 'blogspot' service, you can also read here on the Daring to Blossom website, or find 'Dare to Blossom Life Coaching' on Facebook.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post, Mary! I love how you are living your life, your way - Amen to that! Gorgeous rhododendron photo!
    Sorry, I've been remiss at visiting your blog and commenting, but I do enjoy reading your posts in my email each week :)
    Wishing you a wonderful week full of Aspiration and Wisdom (my word for this week!) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Claire - lovely to hear from you, and no need to feel 'remiss' at all. I know you haven't been well - and even without that, the last thing I would want is for you to feel obliged to come here and comment. Of course - if you do feel inspired to write - then that is very much appreciated :-)

      Delete