Wednesday 16 April 2014

Cherish


16 April 2014

Such a comforting card, 'Cherish' feels to me much like 'Gratitude', and also somehow softer, more gentle. A warm idea, cherishing those people and things already close to my heart. Feeling grateful, yes, and also feeling fondness, love, warmth.


Here, in my cosy office/study, I am surrounded by cherished things. What makes them 'cherished'? I realise as I write that what makes them so are the memories attached. So, even if I did not have them any longer, I would still cherish them.

A week or so ago, I had the delight of being asked to speak to a group of women in Cornwall, known as 'Wow - Magical Meetings for Women'. I had a 'sort of' plan for the hour I was to speak - which I find the best sort of plan - having an idea of some themes and then speaking from my heart. That morning as I collected things together to take with me to set the scene for demonstrating the Dare to Blossom Rediscovery Cards, I wasn't sure what to pick as a centrepiece. In my two glass-fronted bookcases I have a collection of cherished ornaments and gifts - and my eyes were drawn to a special piece that my late mother made. There is a picture below as it is hard to describe, my mother was an expert in embroidery techniques and she used this skill to make a number of items to sell as gifts and this is one of those. A beautiful beach pebble to which she has glued embroidered pieces that look a little like seaweed and sea anemones, maybe starfish even.



Such a simple yet original idea - and a gift I cherished when she gave it to me, and even more now. Taking it with me that day felt as if she was there supporting me (and I am sure she was).

The purple background colour of this card combined with 'Cherish' feels rich and sumptuous; luxurious and special. 'Cherishing' can also be a part of self-care and self-love: if I do not allow myself to feel cherished, by caring well for my body and soul, how can I have the energy and inner resources to cherish others? Now I am thinking of a more active feeling than that of enjoying a memento - where people are concerned cherishing for me means speaking out and acting. Showing those I care for in words and deeds that they are special to me, that they are appreciated and loved - and cherished - just as they are, for who they are, without the need to prove anything.

As always, please feel free to comment below with your thoughts and comments. 

If you would like to own a set of cards to explore their power for yourself please visit the dedicated page.

Thank you dear friends for visiting with me again this week and sharing my musings.

Until next time,

with love,
Mary

Also find 'Dare to Blossom Life Coaching' on Face book.

3 comments:

  1. I love this word... it's the best part of the wedding vows, I think. Society focuses so much on romantic love, I wish there was a bigger emphasis on cherishing...
    A beautiful post, as always :)
    Wishing you a Happy Easter x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire, and wishing you a Happy Easter too. xx

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry your earlier comments disappeared, Mary, but third time's a charm and the comment on my last giveaway hasn't vanished :) And I've just posted Word for the Week - rather appropriate for those entering the draw *grin*

    ReplyDelete